What is Part P of the Building Regulations?

Part P is a section of the current building regulations concerned with electrical installation in domestic dwellings. The law was introduced by UK government in 2005, and affects most electrical installations in domestic properties located in England and Wales. The law was introduced to protect homeowners and tenants from the risk of dangerous accidents and occurrences caused by faulty electrical work.

The new law brought electrical work carried out in the home under statutory control. This is normally carried out by the building control departments of local authorities.

How to comply with Part P and who is Responsible?

The Part P regulation requires that the majority of electrical work is carried out by an electrician who is registered with a government backed scheme. Examples are NICEIC, NAPIT

Electrical Installations must meet Part P and the homeowner or Landlords must notify the relevant department. If work does not meet the requirement as stated in the regulation, the local authority can make the homeowner or landlord alter or remove work until the breach is rectified.

When should I notify the Local Authority for Part P work?

NICEIC have produced the following document outlining when notification is needed.


If you require a PART P certified electrician in Cardiff or South Wales please contact us.

CLICK TO CALL: 07789 693725